Fire Academy Campus
The South Carolina Fire Academy’s facility is one of the most comprehensive state fire training facilities in the United States. Located on 208 acres in Columbia, SC, the campus is just off Monticello Road, four miles north of Exit 68 off Interstate 20.
For large lectures, the Denny Auditorium seats 200 plus. For smaller groups, there are eight classrooms that each seat 30. During the week, students eat breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria. The cafeteria also houses the SCFA General Store, which offers a wide assortment of South Carolina Fire Academy related apparel and souvenir options, with new inventory added on a regular basis.
Students staying overnight enjoy the newly renovated dormitory with hotel-like accommodations. Each room has a private bathroom, and linens are provided. Single and double occupancy is available.
The South Carolina Fire Academy features multiple state-of-the-art live fire props. These give our training programs consistency while increasing the level of student safety. These props include:
- 2 ½ story computer-operated, propane fueled burn building with multiple burn areas and a flashover simulator which can represent residential, commercial, and industrial facility configurations
- 2 ½ story class-A burn building with multiple burn areas
- 5-story drill tower with different configurations on each floor, a search and rescue maze, sprinkler and standpipe props, and interior shafts for elevator and rope rescue training
- Several large and small scale flammable liquid burn props, as well as rail cars, for foam and extinguisher training
- Several LP Gas props for hand-line training
- Three multiple configuration confined space rescue props.
- Two computer-operated, propane fueled, replica 737 aircraft crash/rescue simulators
- Hazardous materials spill and leak props, including several tank trucks and rail cars