Office of State Fire Marshal

Protect. Prevent. Train. Respond.


Blaster Licenses, Explosive Dealer Licenses, and Explosive Magazines expire December 31 annually. Individuals seeking initial licensing may contact Susan Mazzone at

Magazine Permits and Blasting Permits may be requested in the State Fire Informational Management System at . If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please feel free to contact:

Reporting requirements for injury, death or loss of explosives call 24 hours a day 7 days a week at 803-737-8500 and ask for a call back from the State Fire Duty Chief

ATF Form: Report of Theft or Loss-Explosive Materials - This form must be emailed within 24 hours of theft or loss of explosives to


How do I obtain a blasters license?

For an application packet or question, please contact Susan Mazzone at or 803-414-7032.

What are the licensure/permit renewal dates?
The renewal dates are as follows:

Blasters License: 1 year cycle/December 31
Explosive Dealers License: 1 year cycle/ December 31
Magazine holders: 1 year cycle/ December 31
Is there reciprocity in South Carolina for Blasters?
No. There is no reciprocity with other states for explosive users in South Carolina.
Is testing required to obtain a blasters license with the State of South Carolina?
Yes. Testing is required in order to obtain a license as a Blaster in South Carolina. A license cannot be issued until the applicant has passed the written examination administered by the OSFM.
What steps are needed to get tested?
First, an application, required fees, and any other information requested in the packet of materials, must be submitted to Susan Mazzone at or 803-414-7032.
Does the OSFM provide study guide materials for the test?
Study materials are not provided for blasters. To assist you in preparing for the exam, the South Carolina Rules and Regulations are available on this website or contact Susan Mazzone at or 803-414-7032
I have a blasters license. How do I obtain a permit to blast?
Permits are available on our online permitting site.
How do I get a class approved to provide Continuing Education Credit?
Many classes presented by the International Society of Explosives Engineers (ISEE) and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) regarding blasting will be approved for continuing education credits. If you have other training you wish to have approved for CEUs, send the course provider, course outline, and number of hours to and it will be considered.